Laptop Install Help

david burkhard dave8742 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 14:01:19 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have come across a problem with installing Ubuntu on
a new laptop.  The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5021 WLMi.
 I feel that I missed somthing important somewhere,
but just don't know what it is.  The issue that I am
having is that the laptop just powers off during the
Ubuntu installation process.  I got an issue with
having to specify "vga=771" at the start of the
install.  But trying to install 5.10 (both 64-bit and
then 32-bit) the laptop powers off at random times but
never gets much past the start of loading packages.
Being worried about possible hardware problems with
the machine, I then got out older versions of Linux
and found that Ubuntu 4.10 (32-bit) has the same
problem although it gets past the reboot during the
install, asks for a user name and then asks for
allowable video modes and at a point shortly after
that it powers off.  The install has not progressed
far enough to allow booting the machine up in Ubuntu.
This 4.10 version powered off at the same point
several times in a row.  Then I tried RedHat 7.1 (very
old) and it installed.  Finally I worked my way up to
Fedora 4 (32-bit) and it installed without any issues.

So with a little trial and error, it appears that
Ubuntu doesn't like this laptop where other
(RedHat/Fedora) linux distributions do.  Does anyone
out there have any idea what I might try to get Ubuntu
installed on this machine ?  (I would really prefer to
go to Ubuntu, if possible.)

Thanks...