[Dapper upgrade] subprocess paste killed by signal?

Ben Novack bhn3 at pitt.edu
Thu Mar 16 03:31:57 UTC 2006

Hey all.

So I tried to move to Dapper, and got this when running apt-get dist-upgrade:

Unpacking openoffice.org-help-en-us [...]
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-help-en-us_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_all.deb
(--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/openoffice/help/en/default.css', which
is also in package openoffice.org-help-en
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/openoffice.org-help-en-us_2.0.2-1ubuntu2_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code

As a result, I can't make progress, and my box is in a horribly broken
state. Suggestions, anyone?