evolution /spamassassin marks everything as spam

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Thu Mar 16 03:00:12 UTC 2006

hi karl,

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:02:57AM -0800, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 16:18 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > SO now I just have the default spam filter enabled, and all my mail is
> > being tagged as spam.  On the other hand, if I isolate a single message
> > and run spamc on the ocmmand line, e.g:
> >
> > cat ~/.evolution/mail/local/test | spamc -R
> >
> > I get very good results (non-spam has very low scores, spam has very
> > high scores).  Has anyone else dealt with this issue?  Can you suggest a
> > solution?
>
> Purge or move aside the "~/.spamassassin" directory, and edit
> "/etc/default/spamassassin" to make sure that "ENABLED=0" is there (the
> package default is 0).  In other words, don't run a system wide SA.
>
> Use the default spam checking from Evolution, which will start up a
> private instance of spamassassin running as your own login id, and then
> access it via 'spamc'.

if I understand you correctly, I should no longer need to do this, as
the automatic spam-checking should now work.

> Don't try to pretrain the SA, but when messages are not matched as spam,
> click the Junk button.

missed this message earlier in the month, thank you for your response,
will try this!  Didn't realize that evolution started a private
spamassassin instance.

I've been using a bogofilter filter that I saw in a forum somewhere,
and it works pretty well (catches about 90% of spam, very few false
positives) , but as far as I can see there's no way to train
bogofilter from within evolution.  So I'm hoping your suggestion gives
me a better solution

also, is there a reason I shouldn't try pretraining?

thanks much,

matt

Matt Price	    matt.price at utoronto.ca
History Department, University of Toronto
(416) 978-2094