Remote Desktop : Connecting to a WinXP machine ?

Christopher Nelson chris at cavein.org
Thu Mar 16 01:11:30 UTC 2006

On 2006-03-16, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 00:34 +0000, Christopher Nelson wrote:
>> > Thanks Federico, that's indeed what I was looking for. :o)
>> > I enable it, but when I try to connect to it with Ubuntu, Windows asks
>> > me for a password !? :-/
>> > Strange, I didn't set any password when I installed Windows, so I have
>> > no idea what password it's asking for...
>> >
>> > Any idea ?
>>
>> I had a similar problem accessing samba shares on a WinXP machine.  What
>> I eventually did was just hit enter, and that actually worked.  Perhaps
>> it may also work in your situation.
>
> Yeah I tried that, but doesn't work. However it doesn't actually
> complain that the password is wrong, instead it says:
>
> "Impossible d'ouvrir une session car il y a une limitation des comptes".
>
> Not sure how that translates exactly, something like "Impossible to open
> session (connect), because there is limitation of (the number of?) the
> accounts".

Did you give the account to which you're trying to connect full
administrator privelages (which is I think the default), if not they may
not have sufficient rights.  Or if it is the number of accounts, you
might try adding another user, with sufficient privelages to run the
remote desktop (I unfortunately do not know what that level of
privelages is).

Christopher Nelson -- chris at cavein.org