Why GCC 4?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Wed Mar 15 18:13:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 09:07 +0100, Luca Manganelli wrote:
> I've seen newer benchmarks like that (on GCC 4.1 and 4.2).
> The GNU team has done a great work on GCC 4.2, which generates
> code faster than 4.0 and 4.1 but not always than 3.4.

However, if nobody ever moves to 4.x, it will never fulfill its
potential. I commend Ubuntu for taking a little pain now, to have less
tomorrow. It has happened before, some distro would pick up something
new and have some pain, but in the end everyone was better off. We could
have stayed on a.out instead of ELF too ;)