[Dapper] Mouse

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Mar 15 15:03:45 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 15:28 +0100, Vincent Arnoux wrote:
>>
>> Start gconf-editor, go to apps->nautilus->preferences and change the
>> key value of click_policy key to "single"
>
> Um, even simpler: In any file manager window: Edit > Preferences > Tab
> Behavior > Single click to activate items. Or Top Toolbar > System >
> Preferences > File Management > Tab Behavior > Single click to activate
> items.
>
> This is a serious problem on the mailing list IMO: advanced users
> pulling some long-outdated or unnecessary trick out of their pockets,
> instead of showing the most straightforward way.

In the first place, that sort of thing is because we _are_ advanced users.
We've been using these systems for so long that we got used to doing things
the hard way, and we often learn the newer, shorter, methods on lists like
this from newbies.

> I'm sorry to pick on you, you surely aren't the only offender, and I
> have been one myself, but it just now ticket me off ;)
>
> So often a newbie shows up and asks "how to I install foo", only to be
> told, "open a terminal; vi /etc/apt/sources.list, edit; apt-get update
> && apt-get install foo".
> I'm surely not against learning stuff or using the cmd line, and I know
> that it is hard to let go of old behavior, but please: point newbies to
> the relevant GUI tools in Ubuntu. They are why they use Ubuntu in the
> first place.

Well, no.  I love GUIs, and - except for this particular example - I almost
always use a GUI instead of a command line for my own work.  However, it is
_extremely_ difficult on a text-only forum to describe unambiguously how to
use a GUI.  There is no way I'm going to walk through the steps to tell
someone how to install a package with Synaptic (assuming that they _have_
synaptic - we _can't_ assume that) when I can give them, simply, the exact
commands required to install with apt-get - which we _can_ assume they
have.

I will continue to preferentially suggest command line options where I know
solutions exist using a GUI or CLI, because it _is_ simpler on a mailing
list.
--
derek