tomcat setup problem

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Tue Mar 14 10:23:28 UTC 2006

"chan henry" <cshenrychan at gmail.com> writes:

> i have followed this how to to get tomcat up and running
>
> now, i want to get further and config a mod-jk2 connector with apache, and
> allow all users of the server to use the tomcat service. is there another
> howto to get to the goal?

There ought to be some Debian based HOWTOs as Tomcat has been
available in Debian for quite some time.

On the other hand, Tomcat5 is available in Dapper, but there you have
to go with the libapache2-mod-jk package, as *-jk2 has been
deprecated.  I just upgraded a box from Warty (through Hoary and
Breezy) to Dapper and got Apache2 and Tomcat5 working with Kaffe and
the libapache2-mod-jk package (all being dowloaded from Ubuntu), but
the /etc/libapache2-mod-jk/workers.properties had to be edited as it
refers to tomcat4 and j2sdk1.4-sun.  More specifically, change the two
lines:

	workers.tomcat_home=/usr/share/tomcat4
	workers.java_home=/usr/lib/j2sdk1.4-sun

        workers.tomcat_home=/usr/share/tomcat5
        workers.java_home=/usr/lib/kaffe

(I've been meaning to report this, as I consider it a bug, but have
not got around to do it yet.  Did it now: #34863.)

After this you should be settled, but some editing of
/etc/apache2/conf.d/libapache2_mod_jk.conf may be needed.

Note: In Warty I had downloaded Tomcat4 from Debian and built a Sun
JDK package by hand.  That way I had to manually update both Tomcat
and the JDK.  If you go the Dapper way, MOTU will hopefully add
security updates.

	Affi