Weird Question (Sorry, a bit long)

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 14 06:59:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 23:44:28 -0600
Liam Marshall <lsrpm at mts.net> wrote:

> How do I tell what version of Ubuntu I am running?

Type

lsb_release -a

in a terminal
 $ lsb_release -a
LSB Version:	n/a
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Release:	5.10
Codename:	breezy

As an example of the kind of output. You can also do

$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" \n \l

> I had several versions of Ubuntu downloaded and burnt to cds

The above should work on live CDs as well, i would assume ( never tried
it ) If you open your CDs in a file manager you can find the release on
the CD itself as well. or do for instance (after mounting the install CD
on /media/cdrom0 )

$ ls  /media/cdrom0/dists/
hoary  stable  unstable

which clearly is 5.04 (hoary)

[ warty = 4.10  October 2004, breezy = 5.10
October 2005 and of course 5.04 is April 2005]

Hope that helps! Haven't had time to delve into your other questions ;-)

Peter

-