Why GCC 4?

CJ Kelley debian_i386 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 02:38:41 UTC 2006

Julio Biason <julio.biason at gmail.com> wrote:----CJ's Reply----
GCC 4 (i think) is a newer version. I believe the ubuntu site may have had gcc 4 for downlaods. GCC 4 (if it is teh newest version) supports more commands then the older versions of GCC...If you dont know what GCC Is, GCC is a C (or C++) Compiler. I dont know much on how to use GCC (as i dont use GCC hardly at all), but im sure that the ubuntu site or google will have documentation on the newer features and documentation of how to use GCC for those who are inexperienced with GCC
----End of reply----

On 3/13/06, Matthew R. Dempsky  wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:47:33AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I've wondered about this for a while. How come Ubuntu is compiled with
> > gcc 4? Is there a specific technical advantage to doing this?
>
> Is there a specific technical advantage not to?

Hm... 3.x has years of field evaluation and bug fixing? :)

As far as I know, 4.x is more standards-compliant, which is a good
thing. Several programs can't compile against 4.x, due some way
optimizations are done now (where it seems is the greatest point of
4.x, although isn't fully explored yet).

--
Julio Biason