Firmware WRT54GS

Jules Dubois 9gy4lbu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Mar 14 02:11:20 UTC 2006

On Friday 10 March 2006 07:16, UnIData <unidata.linux at gmail.com>
(<85c284910603100616t63201d88v77b5dae4c61c259e at mail.gmail.com>) wrote:

> What is the best open firmware for the router WRT54GS ?

First, which version of the WRT54GS do you have?  The current version (v5.0)
is not well supported at this time; Linksys cut the flash-RAM to 2MB:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

The most popular of the third-party products appear to be, in alphabetical
order,

* DD-WRT
* HyperWRT
* OpenWRT
* Sveasoft's Talisman

A feature comparison from a few months ago can be found at

  http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=31

Here's my uninformed and uninformative take on these.

DD-WRT has the largest number of features and seems to have the greatest
number of reports of instability, mostly from users of "file-sharing"
utilities.  It has a nice web interface.

HyperWRT tries to stick as closely as possible to Linksys' firmware and has
a reputation for stability and speed.

OpenWRT also has a reputation for stability and speed.  The interface is (or
at least was) through the command line only.

Sveasoft charges a "subscription" fee of $20 per year for "MAC locked"
software.  I don't think they distribute the source code as OpenWRT's
developer accuses them of copyright violation and has revoked their license
to OpenWRT source.

I installed DD-WRT (v23, 25 DEC 2005) on a WRT54GL and haven't had any
problems.  I've been running it only three days.

[ObOnTopic] As it's an Ethernet-attached device, it works fine with KUbuntu
5.10 i386 and AMD64.