Unable to create executable with gcc or g++

Carson Wilcox carson.wilcox at verizon.net
Mon Mar 13 16:03:30 UTC 2006

 I installed Ubuntu on my hp laptop last night and found that gcc and g++ were not installed in the base install.
  Using the package manager, I installed both gcc and g++. They appeared to install ok, I received on errors.
  However when I try to use either one, I get an error message that says  they were unable to create an executable. This is the only message I  get.

  Can anyone point me to a solution to this problem.

  Thanks,
  Carson