Hibernate brokes my swap partition.

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 13 15:22:11 UTC 2006

Josué Alcalde González wrote:

> El lun, 13--2006 a las 07:22 -0500, Michael R. Head escribió:
>> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 01:54 +0100, Josué Alcalde González wrote:
>> > I am using dapper. I installed dapper flight 3 and it is updated.
>> >
>> > When I try to hibernate, all things seem to be ok.
>> > The screen becomes a black screen and the computer is switched off.
>> > When I start the system, it doesn't recover from hibernate and starts
>> > as a normal start.
>> >
>> > I thought my laptop didn't support hibernation, but I have realized
>> > that my swap partition is not recognized after hibernation. I have to
>> > reformat it because gparted report an unknown system-file.

That's no evidence that your laptop doesn't support hibernation, though I
expect it really does.  Hibernation deliberately writes its own signature
into the swap partition, so it may need reformatting if restore fails.

>> I believe I got around it by adding resume=/dev/hda2 to my kopt line as
>> described here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HoaryPM
>>
>> That's pretty old info, so it may not be helpful for dapper, though.
>>
> No, it doesn't work. In fact, doing an update-grub deletes the line I
> add.

Of course it does - read the comments in the file for ensuring that
parameters are applied by update-grub.  However, the resume parameter
shouldn't really be necessary.
--
derek