Ruby upgrade

Al Gordon runlevel7 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 15:22:06 UTC 2006

On 3/12/06, Paul Thompson <ubantu001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Al,
>
> Thank you for all the help so far. One last question, into what
> dictionary do I install the deb or does it just know what to do? Will
> I land up with both the old and the new versions of Ruby? Will Rails
> still know where to look to find the new version of Ruby?
>
> Lastly, are you running Radrails as a stand alone or as an Eclipse
> plug-in? Do you have an opinion on this?
>
> Thank you for your patience.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul

By dictionary, I'm assuming you mean directory.

One of the things that a packaging system does is make sure that
software gets installed into appropriate directories.  The 'dpkg'
program is part of the packaging system that Ubuntu uses (apt and/or
aptitude being the other part) and will make sure that no matter what
directory you install a .deb file from, it will unpack/install the
files into th eappropriate location.

A good place to start looking for information about how software is
installed on Ubuntu systems is the UserDocumentation wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation.  Specifically, you can
check the Installing Software portion
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallingSoftware).

Keep posting if you encounter any problems with the Ruby upgrade, and
we'll see if we can walk you through the steps required in getting
them fixed.

--

  -- AL --