udev: /dev/null: permission denied (created with wrong permissions)

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Sun Mar 12 19:45:45 UTC 2006

Marco d'Itri wrote:

>On Mar 11, Sam Vilain <sam at vilain.net> wrote:
>

>>>Congratulations, your system is misconfigured.
>>>

>>I don't think we have sufficient evidence to back that assertion yet.
>>

>It was right in your first message, plainly visible to anybody who has a
>minimal understanding of how udev works.

Marco,

The rudeness of this response beggars belief.  Why did you even bother
responding?

I have a "minimal understanding" of how it works, I've read the readmes,
etc, and I still can't figure it out.  So, I am afraid that I am the
proof to the contrary.

>>>Then do not bother me, I do not maintain the Ubuntu udev package nor I
>>>am payed to read Ubuntu bugs.
>>>

>>Why do you not want to co-operate with people who are contributing to
>>the package's bug discovery and bugfix process just because they use a
>>different base system?  Surely they are helping and not hindering.
>>

>Again: it's not my package. Not even derived from it.

I find it hard to believe your name would be there if it hadn't at least
been imported from your package.

>If you want to reply before the package maintainer will close the bug
>then please do not Cc me.

Tell you what, I'll raise a seperate bug about Ubuntu proper to say to
make sure that the listed package maintainers are real ones that care
about users, just so that some unwary user doesn't have to deal with you
again.

Thanks for your time, it's been very enlightening.

Sam.