Is there a good BASIC compiler for ubuntu?

Tristan Wibberley maihem at maihem.org
Sun Mar 12 23:34:58 UTC 2006

Eric Dunbar wrote:

> Is Python transferrable to other operating systems?

Yes, quite a lot.

> It seems to me that for basic programming BASIC is an admirable
> solution.

Yes, and for python programming, Python is an admirable solution.
ahahaha! <sorry I couldn't resist>

> I've seem some pretty impressive programs written in BASIC,
> and, for simple data manipulation it can't be beat (if you already
> know the language).
>
> Just because programming snobs don't like it doesn't mean that people
> shouldn't be using it.

For me it is about cost of development. Basic is very expensive to
develop in if you know python. It is only cheaper if you don't know
python already and only have simple programs to write. If you have a
complex program to write, it is cheaper to learn python and write it in
that.

> I've only ever seen
> Linux geeks extolling the virtues of Python.

Where I work, there are a number of windows programmers using it. In
fact the first bit of python I touched there was written by a through
and through windows programmer.

--
Tristan Wibberley