Is there a good BASIC compiler for ubuntu?

Andy Davidson andyd at pheon.com
Sun Mar 12 23:10:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 12, 2006 at 10:03:17PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 12 March 2006 19:28, Alexandre Franke wrote:
> > On 3/12/06, CJ Kelley <debian_i386 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I am still pretty new to programming and am starting to become
> > > very proficient in the BASIC language. I dont know very much of
> > > C++, other then how to get the computer to display a line of
> > > text. So my question is, is there a good BASIC compiler out there
> > > that will work under Ubuntu Linux?
> >
> > As far as I know, BASIC is not a compiled language, but rather an
> > interpreted one. So I guess that it is an interpreter you are
> > looking for.
>
> Not quite. Languages are not inherently compiled or interpreted. It's
> the environment they run it that determines that.

This is ancient history, but there has been at least one BASIC
compiler.  Years ago in the 1970s, I worked for Control Data and they
had a BASIC compiler on their Cyber line of super computers (128K of
memory: 60-bit wide words of core!) and we used it for a couple of
projects --- one a concordance --- because nothing else at the time
had string handling to match. (FORTRAN?  Ugh!!)

But I agree with the other comments: try to avoid BASIC.

andy

Andy Davidson	andyd at pheon.com
If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything.