How to directly access files on windows network

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Sun Mar 12 17:02:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 10:39 -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Michael R. Head wrote:

> >> Exactly.  You can mount samba shares in /etc/fstab, or with mount
> >> (type=smbfs), and that will use smbmount under the hood.  I'm not sure
> >> whether you can mount them with pmount, but I would expect so.
> >
> > type=cifs is better in most cases. You can use 'sudo mount.cifs ...'
> > instead of 'sudo smbmount ...' to do it at the command line.
> >

> OK - I'm happy to be corrected!  I didn't know about cifs - and it isn't
> documented in man mount.  Is it completely SMB compatible?

I only just found out about it last week myself! I was having some
terrible trouble using smb to create huge (4G) files on a windows
server. During my search for answers, I found out that smbfs is
effectively dead and cifs is the new hotness. Better performance, better
support for unix permissions, and better compatibility with new windows
stuff.

It turns out that CIFS does not work if you have an old OS/2 file
server, so it is slightly incompatible.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>