Need Ubuntu In Delhi
fbonjour at urbanet.ch
Sat Mar 11 14:44:52 UTC 2006
> Firefox: yes, it is there. The current stable version of Ubuntu
> (called "Breezy Badger") comes with 1.0.5 (plus all patches); the next
> version ("Dapper Drake") will come with 1.5.0 (plus all patches).
Actually, I think it's 1.0.7. There are ways to install 1.5 quite easily
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FirefoxNewVersion) and, while we're at this,
you also have a page for the newer version of Thunderbird
>> 4. Do ICQ and Skype
>> support for Linux? Is there any other compatible messenger available so
>> that I can use these ID on Linux?
There is a package for Debian in the Skype website, but it cannot be
installed because it requires a library that has been deprecated in
Ubuntu. You can check the following site for an easy recipe for adapting
that it's still Skype 1.2, not Skype 2.0. (Also, I have to say, I
haven't tried it yet.)
As for the other software...
* There is of course no port of Office, but OpenOffice.org works for me.
* I don't know what Cutter is.
* I don't know what ALZip is either, though (assuming it's some sort of
Winzip clone) all the tools are available on Linux from the command
line, and there is also a GUI --- which I have never used.
* As for multimedia players, there are several. My favourite is mplayer.
* You shouldn't have problems with any USB device.
I found the following page a great help
More information about the ubuntu-users