USB wireless adaptor (802.11g)

Shu Hung (Koala) koalay at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 06:39:28 UTC 2006

On 3/11/06, Larry Grover <lgrover at zoominternet.net> wrote:

> Shu Hung (Koala) wrote:
> > Dear Larry,
> >
> > I brought the Planex GW-US54GZL adaptor.
> > According to http://zd1211.ath.cx/ it uses zd1211 chipset.
> > Actually, the box of the adaptor claims it support linux.
> >
> > I open the box and plug it in, nothing happened.
> > I even insmod the module zd1211 and still nothing special happened
> >
> > What should I install / do before getting the wireless adaptor work?
> > Is there any good starting guide / documentation for you to set things
> up?
> > Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Koala Yeung
> >

> If you're running Dapper, the testing/unstable version of the upcoming
> 6.04 release, you shouldn't have to do anything special.  Just plug it
> in and configure the interface.  You should be able to use the GUI
> network configuration utility, but I just added a couple of lines
> manually to my /etc/network/interfaces file:
>
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> auto wlan0
>
> If you're running one of the stable releases (Breezy or older), you may
> have to do a little bit of work to get it running, though I don't
> remember doing anything special on my Breezy-x86 system.
>
> There is a page on the wiki about zd1211 wireless adapters:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/zydas_zd1211?highlight=%28zd1211%29#top
>
> There are also a number of threads on the forums about these adapters.
> Go to:  http://www.ubuntuforums.org/
> ...and search on "zd1211"  to find them, but I suggest you start with
> the page on the wiki.
>
> Can you tell me which release are you running?  Breezy? and also what
> architecture you're on (x86, x86-64, power-pc)?
>
> Can you also tell me what happens when you open a terminal window, and
> execute the command, dmesg, immediately after you insert the USB device?
>   Do you see any lines that indicate the device is recognized and the
> module loaded?
>
> You may also find it helpful to open another terminal window and run the
> command:
> sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
> which will let you see a continuously updated listing of kernel
> messages.  Do you see any lines indicating that the adapter is
> recognized and the correct module (zd1211) is loading?
>
> Regards,
> Larry

Dear Larry,

I'm using dapper but seems the module does not detect my USB
adaptor. I used lsusb and obtained the USB ID number of my adaptor.
It is not identified by the system and thus nothing happened.

I then search the web and saw in a forum that the zd1211 is not
identifying my adaptor. It seems I need to apply a little patch to the
adaptor module. You may also take a look here:
http://www.nabble.com/Planex-GW-US54GZL-t1118042.html

I've reported the patch and issue to the launchpad. Hope the patch
can be applied to the standard package as soon as possible.
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/zd1211/+bug/34404

Thanks for your help.

Cheer,
Koala Yeung