Installation problem, partitionar stuck at 52% .....(Using IDE HDD)

Yogesh soni india.yogi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 09:31:06 UTC 2006

On 3/5/06, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 09:52:47PM +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 15:57:09 +0530
> > "Yogesh soni" <india.yogi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Now problem is this that i'm not be able to install ubuntu 5.10 on my
> > > system.
> > > *My System specification is as follows,
> > > * Intel P-III 667 MHz.
> > > * RAM : 64 MB SDRAM
> >
> > 64MB RAM isn't enough for a default install of Ubuntu - the recommended
> > minimum is 128MB.
>
> This will be better in Dapper; the installer should function with as
> little as 32MB.
>
> > The fact that the problem surfaces so early in the install - with
> > partitioning - is odd though.
>
> What's happening is that the partitioner is starting up, crashing due to
> out-of-memory, and then failing to restart properly.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson at ubuntu.com]
>
> --

I finally got ubuntu 5.10 installed on my system. I thought problem was
arising because of my partition table.
How?
My "patman" was stucking  at  52% , then i decide to go for the expert mode
installation. When it asks me to start partition manager i just skip this
and go to the virtual console by pressing Alt-F2 & menually partitioning my
disk with fdisk. Command that i used was as follows.
   fdisk /dev/hda ( & creating a linux partition and swap there)
   mke2fs -j /dev/hda7
   mkswap /dev/hda6
   sync; sync; sync
   swapon /dev/hda6
   mkdir /target
   mount /dev/hda7 /target

after all these command i again goto the vertual console one by pressing
Alt-F1
skipping the partition step and starting  the base system installation.
After this all went smoothly and ubuntu got installed on my system with 64
MB RAM.
Problem that i faced was that grub didn't configure correctly, but i managed
to get configured it manually.
My windows partition was not mounted automatically becuase the fire
/etc/fstab was completly emtpy, i also add some line into it to mount my
swap & windows partition.
After doing all this stuff i finally got ubuntu running on my system. I
found it  very pleasant,elegant and yet powerfull.

ubuntu-users mailing list