number pads for laptops

MICHAEL WEAVER michaelweaver1 at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 10 05:58:39 UTC 2006

Hi Bill!
Thanks for your reply to my questions.
I am pretty much a Linux newby plus I have the additional problem of having
no Sight at all.
>From hearing what the chap at my Linux group did, it sounded fairly straight
forward to download Gnopernicus screenreader. I thought it would have been a
lot more complex than it turned out to be although for some reason it seems
to have broken in my system because I get an error message saying "no
speech."
My younger sister tried to resolve the problem but she couoldn't find the
fault although she hasn't had any Linux experience and for example shutting
down a computer under Linux is different from shutting down Windows and it
is not like being able to do Control Escape, U and pressing enter.
I bought my Compaq laptop sometime near the end of last year, PC World
claimed it was the last of its model number and it was being used for
demonstrations until I bought it for Ubuntu so hopefully it should have a
USB keyboard for a separate keypad. Gnopernicus uses a lot of conbination
keystrokes which seem to be only found on Numeric pads and this chap who
helped get me running only had some success with using the laptop with these
layers and it was a bit fiddly because you have to change by doing something
like FN and numlock or scroll key to access the kind of keystrokes used for
Gnopernicus and it might have been when he tried to access one of the layers
using this method when Gnopernicus stopped running and gave up any attempt
to speak even when I rebooted from scratch.
My sister looked at some stuff under the preferences menu or where the
Gnopernicus stuff is and it said that speech was unavailable so some module
or file has either got corrupted or broken so I am wondering if I will again
have to do a full fresh installation of Ubuntu and reconfigure the system to
access the Main reposotory where the Gnopernicus application is.