<Super>-k bindings for Gnome - gconf-editor to the rescue. (Re: Key bindings)

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 10 04:51:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 12:54 +0300, Victor Polukcht wrote:
> HSome time ago i've successfully binded "Hide all windows and show
> desktop" to LeftWinkey + m (<mod4>m).
>
> Now i'm trying to bind "Lock screen" (start screensaver) to LeftWinkey +
> l.

I've had the same problem.  I wanted to bind keys modified with <Super>
(the "windows logo" key), and the System --> Preferences --> Keyboard
Shortcuts dialog doesn't work right.  When I push the "windows" key, it
inputs "Super_L", and doesn't act as a shift-like modifier key the way
it's supposed to.

The workaround is to run "gconf-editor", then find apps/metacity/ and
then click and type string values into gconf.  For instance, I now have
"<Super><Shift>f12" bound on the "toggle fullscreen" command.  I went
through them all and turned every instance of "<Alt>" into "<Super>".

There really ought to be a set of global configuration options that all
of the Gnome software that binds commands to keys looks at for their
modifier.  I want to always use "<Super>" for Metacity (window manager)
key bindings, and maybe "<Super><Alt>" for panel bindings.  They ought
to do the right thing in that when I change one, the other should
follow.  In the Sawfish window manager, instead of writing "H-x" for
"<Hyper>x", you can write "W-x" for "<window manager's modifier>x", and
then bind the modifier to what you want it to be, and all key bindings
follow suite through that indirection.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>