No sound with ALSA, where to start?

Ryan Thiessen ryanthiessen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 03:36:44 UTC 2006

I've been wrestling with this issue for a few days now with no luck.  I
can't get any sound out of ALSA on my usb speakers (the only functioning
speakers on my laptop) which forces me to use OSS which is subpar.

ryan at lapt0p:~# cat /proc/asound/modules
0 snd_usb_audio
1 snd_intel8x0

looks fine, usb audio is loaded first and the speaker lights are on.

ryan at lapt0p:~# asoundconf list
Names of available sound cards:
Audio
I82801DBICH4

looks fine, "Audio" is the name of the device and the mixer shows it as such
and I have the volume up and unmuted.

Messing around with gstreamer-properties I select ALSA or ESD  and hit
"test" but it makes no sound, but it works fine with OSS.

To test a non-gstreamer player I used mplayer:  "mplayer filename.mp3 -ao
oss" plays with sound, "mplayer filename.mp3 -ao alsa" plays silently.

My asoundrc file is default and .asoundrc.asoundconf just has "
defaults.pcm.card 1".  /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base is the default.

This is on Dapper, but it started when I was using Breezy and I upgraded to
see if that made any difference -- it did not.

If anyone has a clue what is up or even can give me a hint about where I
should start looking next, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in
advance.
--
Cheers,
-rt-