Determining which component a package came from

Ed Fletcher ed at fletcher.ca
Thu Mar 9 23:17:18 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:05:09 -0600
> "Jason OConnell" <jloconne at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>How can you tell if a package came from 'main', 'restricted', 'universe', or
>>'multiverse' , or better yet, show me all packages that came from that
>>paticular component?
>

> apt-cache policy <packagename>   will show the origin of the package.
>
> For instance,
>
> apt-cache policy totem-xine
> totem-xine:
>   Installed: 1.2.0-0ubuntu3
>   Candidate: 1.2.0-0ubuntu3
>   Version table:
>  *** 1.2.0-0ubuntu3 0
>         500 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> I don't know how you list all packages from a particular component, though.
>
> Peter

Synaptic will show you everything.

Locate a package in the list in the top right pane and it will tell you
what supplied it; universe, multiverse, restricted or nothing (meaning
base).

If you press the 'Sections' button at the bottom left corner, it will
display all the different types of software (development, email,
graphics, etc) and subdivide them into base, restricted, universe,
multiverse.  Touch each of these to see them listed on the right side.
Count is shown at the bottom, under the buttons.

HTH,
Ed
--
Ed Fletcher
ed at fletcher.ca

You live and learn.  At any rate, you live.
- Douglas Adams