rtl 8139 cp problems

Sven Richter sveri-list at gmx.de
Tue Mar 7 08:20:43 UTC 2006

Hi,

 i have a realtek 8139 c+ onboard nic.
 When i installed kubuntu i wasnt able to set it up with dchp.
 (Other boxes here did well with the dhcp server)

 Later i set it up manually with
 ifconfig eth1 192.168.15.13 up
 and added a route with
 route add default gw 192.168.15.1 dev eth1

 ifconfig show the correct output, everthing seems to be fine.
 I can ping the nic
 ping 192.168.15.13
 and it seems to work too.

 But if i want to ping the server
 ping 192.168.15.1
 it says:
 ping 192.168.15.1 (.....) with .. bytes of data (this is the server)
 from 192.168.15.13 icmp... destination host seems unreachable

 So i plugged another pci nic in, unfortunately again a realtek rtl 8139 c+
 and disabled the onboard nic.

 But its the same again.

 I checked all settings with somebody helpful in the kubuntu irc channel,
 and they are correct.

 Theres only one thing which seems strange.

 After booting two modules (8139too and 8139cp) are loaded.
 If i remove the 8139cp module, restart the network and try to ping it says:
 ping 192.168.15.1
 eth0 network is unreachable

 And if remove the 9139too module and load the other one it says:
 ifconfig eth0 ... up
 SIOCSIFADDR: didnt find a suitable interface (its my translation because the
output comes in german )

 Does anybody have an idea where the problem could be.
 I dont have anymore of them

 Thanks in Advance
 Sven