freedb

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Tue Mar 7 04:19:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 22:47 -0400, Jonathan McLoughlin wrote:
> a program that i have been searching for and would love to have, any
> suggestions?
>
> i have ripped my music collection overs the years in a half-assed
> manner, some with ID3 tags some without, no consistancy with file name
> convention
>
> What i would love is a program that would go out to the freedb
> internet server correct and rename all my mp3 with ID3 tags are move
> and arrange them in a correct and directory structure

I use easytag to do this. You can work at the album level, and it
queries freedb for whatever you like (album name, artist name), and
gives you a list of possible albums. It can normalize tags, filenames,
directories...

And it's in the universe:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=easytag

It's not perfectly what you want, but it should get the job done, once
you figure your way around the interface.

mike

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
GPG: http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/gpg.key.txt [0x4C9DA1D0]