Build your Linux on demand !

Bjørn Ingmar Berg bjorn.ingmar.berg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:08:05 UTC 2006

On 06/03/06, Leen Toelen <toelen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while not strictly related to ubuntu, this looks like a great idea for
> ubuntu as well.
>
> Euronode is a website where you can create pre-configured debian
> installation CD's.
  ( Long advert snipped. )

On one hand I agree, getting a customized ISO can be neat, especially for
the server version of Ubuntu.  But if so the customisation should be a lot more
detailed and flexible than the one Euronode is advertising.

On the other hand Ubuntu is already extremely flexible and I suspect
the majority
of downloaders (esp. those using Ubuntu on the desktop) would be better off
installing the default system and modifying it using the package handlers.

My impression of Euronode is that their "product" is extremely little
value-adding
(if any) for extremely huge amounts of money.  Unfortunately I think
the original
post looks more like a traditional advert than a relevant Ubuntu discussion.
The message topic is very corporate-slogan-ish, and including the text from the
website is redundant; a URL would be enough.

Back to Ubuntu:
I don't think Ubuntu has anything to fear at all from commercial
antagonists like
these.  Basically I think Ubuntu is so good "as is" that this kind of
customisation
isn't needed.  As I said, it can make sense for those building
servers.  But then
again it might make most sense for those without an internet connection.  Those
without internet connections would come a long way with an install DVD with
loads of packages on.
Everything that can spread Ubuntu to more users will be a good thing.  Perhaps
this kind of customization can do that.  And perhaps work and effort is better
spent on other parts of the project!

Kind regards,
Bjørn Ingmar Berg

--
ACHTUNG! ALLES LOOKENSPEEPERS!

Das Internet is nicht fuer gefingerclicken und giffengrabben.
Ist easy droppenpacket der routers und overloaden der backbone
mit der spammen und der me-tooen. Ist nicht fuer gewerken bei
das dumpkopfen! Das mausklicken sichtseeren keepen das bandwit-spewin
hans in das pockets muss; relaxen und watchen das cursorblinken.