Mysql Access Error (Draper Drake)

Robert Slade ubtu at bathnetworks.com
Sun Mar 5 10:06:05 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 02:22 -0700, Holger (Admin) wrote:
> Hi
> I use Draper Drake and installed the Mysql 5 packages. Then I followed
> the instructions
> of the Mysql documentation for instance issuing the following command:
>
> >mysql -u root -p
>
> and ended up with this failure:
>
> >mysql -u root -p
> Enter password:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: NO)
>

> #
> Error: 1045 SQLSTATE: 28000 (ER_ACCESS_DENIED_ERROR)
> Message: Access denied for user '%s'@'%s' (using password: %s)
>
> Does any one know how to solve this issue. I just want to do some
> local work on my laptop.
> How do I get the access, or where do I need to configure things
> different.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Holger

Holger,

It looks like you haven't set the root password. To do this needs
something like:

# mysql -u root mysql

Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.47

Type 'help;' or 'h' for help. Type 'c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root at localhost=PASSWORD('fred');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.06 sec)

the -p option is used to change the password once set.

Hope this helps

Rob