Linksys USB wireless NIC and resolv.conf

Robert Slade ubtu at bathnetworks.com
Sat Mar 4 17:33:05 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 11:10 -0600, William Stephens wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 03:39 +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> > On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:25:26 -0600
> > Chris <racerx at makeworld.com> wrote:

> > > man resolv.conf
> > > man dhclient
> >
> > Chris, the guy is a self confessed newbie, and you are telling him to read
> > the manual pages ? Seriously, please don't give these kinds of responses -
> > they aren't helpful, or welcoming.
> >
> > William, I'm sorry I personally don't know the answer to your
> > question - but please don't be put off by this kind of curt answer.
> > Someone else will no doubt try to help you.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Peter
> >

> Thanks Peter,
>
> I'm not afraid of man pages and really I know the options for
> resolv.conf its the fact that something is cleaning it out while booting
> and I don't know what.
>
> William S.

William,

As I understand it, during the boot process, dhclient obtains data from
the dhcp server and uses the info obtained to setup the resov.conf. I am
assuming that the machine with the wirless nic is getting a lease from a
dhcp server somewhere on your network.

Now /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf allows some setting to be preset and
overwrite the data obtained in the lease. Have a look at preapend etc.

Hope this helps.

Rob