Migrate ubuntu to another partition

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Mar 4 08:04:53 UTC 2006

On Saturday, 4 March 2006 00:47, Filip Ruymen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to migrate my installation from one partition to another.
> currently it is on hdb1 and I want to move it to hdb3.
>
> How can this be done without reinstalling everyting?
>
> any help or tips on how to do it?

Yes. You can do this fairly easily. I assume you have created a file system
on /dev/hdb3. Mount the empty /dev/hdb3 partition. Make an exact copy of the
existing root file system on /dev/hdb3, then edit /etc/fstab
and /etc/lilo.conf on the new partition so that every reference to hdb1 is
changed to hdb3.

Once you have done this, open a root console window and then

chroot /<hdb3's mountpoint> /bin/sh
su -
lilo
exit
exit
reboot

Well, that is the general idea. Some of the Ubuntu boffins can point out the
finer points. I am not familiar enough with Ubuntu to explain it step by
step.

cheers
Duncan