WebMin and Apache 1.x and 2.x both installed?

Robert Slade ubtu at bathnetworks.com
Fri Mar 3 18:01:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 10:55 -0600, John Lyon wrote:
> On 3/3/06 10:02 AM, "Tom Smith" <tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com> either wrote,
> forwarded or quoted:
>
> > Webmin has zero dependence on Apache, unless you specifically configured
> > Webmin to use Apache.
>
> I did discover this while trying to resolve the issue du jour.
>
> > You can have multiple versions of Apache installed but not running on
> > the same port(s).
>
> This I understand, from my WinNT admin days.
>
> > You'll need to be more specific about the problem
> > you're trying to solve if you require further help.
>
> I thought this gave a decent enough explanation of what the issue is:
>
> >> "The bad news it that it broke
> >> my functioning drupal and phpmyadmin installs - it looks like the mime type
> >> is broken (trying to download the php page rather than rendering)."
>
> I will admit that I assumed an unrelated issue (Apache 1.x) was the cause of
> the PHP issue. I'll accept liberal application of the LART. I'll also admit
> that I don't know enough to ask the *right* questions.
>
> > Surely you know how to uninstall software, right? After all, you
> > installed it--the uninstall procedure is quite similar.
>
> And this I accomplished. Apache 1.3x is gone. But it didn't resolve the PHP
> issue when browsing either the drupal site, or phpmyadmin page.
>
> As I noted in a later thread, I'd like to learn to actually administer the
> box, rather than just use it. Sure, I could uninstall all the apps, then
> reinstall, but what, exactly, what I learn from that?
>
> If anyone needs me, I'll be browsing random random directories, looking for
> random log files.
>
> [orig. msg snipped.]

John,

O had a similar problem with apache and php. The problem was related to
the order of installation. Which I solved by re-installing apache php
and mysql, it looked like apache was not recognising the it should run
the php script etc, but just served it up as a html page.

Do you have a mods-enabled folder in /etc/apache2 ? It should contain
the php conf files etc. These maybe missing or corrupt.

Hope this helps.

Rob