Pronouncing "ubuntu"

Karl Goetz kamping_kaiser at internode.on.net
Fri Mar 3 12:08:52 UTC 2006

Yuki Cuss wrote:
> Russell Cook wrote:
>> I think on this list we all know its oo-boon-too.
>>
>> However if I said that to any Aussie that wasn't on the list they'd
>> think either a) I'm swearing at them, b) I'd had a stroke or c) lost
>> my mind. So we tend to say "you-bun-too".
Speak for yourself :)

 So now it's no longer an
>> African word, but the australianised (bastardised??) version of the
>> name of a flavour of Debian Linux :-()
>
> ... a) would they?
in some circles

> b) would you've?
> c) really?
to long practising saying funny foreign words :)

> I've never heard it pronounced anything but correctly here (Victoria).
> When I meet someone who mispronounces (read: my *mother*), I kill them.
>
> .. or re-educate them.
>
> - Yuki.

I'v actually heard some really interesting pronunciations (half a dozen
in all). I try and set people strait, but some just don't want to change :)
kk

--
Karl Goetz
The buck stops there -> $