Fwd: Fw: disable of eth0 at boot time

René list.account at gmx.net
Fri Mar 3 09:38:55 UTC 2006

please, can anybody have a look at this thread. i still did not find out
how to accomplish disabling eth0 at boot time (and starting it manually
with: sudo ifup eth0 ?). thank you.

+++++++++

> Am 12.02.2006, 03:44 Uhr, schrieb Ewan Mac Mahon <ewan at macmahon.me.uk>:

>> On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:55:36PM +0100, René wrote:
>> i want to disable eth0 at boot time. i did outcomment eth0 with:
>> sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
>> strange enough to me, that it does not work to put eth0 into action
>> with:
>> sudo ifup eth0
>> as far as i get to see, there is no dialogue between the machine and
>> dhcp-server at all.

> If I'm reading you right you commented out the only setting that tells
> the machine how to set up eth0, and now you're wondering why it doesn't
> know how to set up eth0? The ifup/down scripts use the settings from
> /etc/network/interfaces, so if they're gone the scripts won't work. You
> could try uncommenting all the eth0 settings except the 'auto' one. I'm
> not sure but I /think/ that will stop it coming up at boot, but still
> allow ifupdown to work. Note though, that if the line is 'auto eth0 lo'
> you'll need to make sure there's still an 'auto lo' entry somewhere
> otherwise bad things may happen.

Hello Ewan, thank you that you took time to help. i thought myself too,
that with outcommenting i had disabled everything, and it is good that you
point out exactly that. still, i cannot see WHAT to outcomment, the
default interfaces file looks like. i did outcomment "iface eth0 inet
dhcp" with my first try. what i truly have to do next (and why)?

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping hotplug
script grep
map eth0
# The primary network interface