Syslog server

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Thu Mar 2 21:43:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 02:48:47PM -0600, Patrick Siglin wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 05:06:22PM +0000, David Mummery wrote:
> > > How do I open up the syslog server on Breezy Badger to allow
> > > connections from other hosts, for example a 3rd party external
> > > firewall device that needs a syslog server?
>
> > It's in the init script, /etc/init.d/sysklogd. This is from one that's
> > set up for remote logging:
>
> > # Options for start/restart the daemons For remote UDP logging use
> > # SYSLOGD="-r"
> > #
> > SYSLOGD="-r -u syslog"
>
> Does it then accept any connections sent to it or do you still have to
> specify something. If I did this could I then point my firewall to
> syslog to it?

That'll accept anything, barring firewall problems. It's not strictly
connections though since syslog runs over UDP. Short answer, yes - mine
is set up this way so that an ADSL modem/router can log to it.

On a couple of other matters; if you can avoid using Outlook please do -
it breaks threading so this message appeared detached from the start of
the thread. The webmail thing you were posting with earlier seems to
work fine. If it would help I can send you a gmail invite. Either way,
kindly knock off the top posting.

Ewan