Ubuntu Breezy Install---boot vector invalid

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Mar 1 23:18:00 UTC 2006

On Monday, 27 February 2006 12:30, 欧阳鹏 wrote:
> I have installed Ubuntu Breezy on a laptop computer, hoping to
> install ubuntu without removing Windows XP. I have a IDE hard
> disk,and configure hda1,hda5 for Windows, and rest for Linux.
> Although I intalled grub, when system continue next installion, it
> reports "boot vector invalid".
> Thank you help...

That's odd, the grub documentation doesn't mention that error text
anywhere. Does it give an error number, and mention which stage
caused it? It will be stage 1, 1.5 or 2

To what part of the disk was grub installed? It should most likely
have been /dev/hda

To fix it, you will need to boot of the Ubuntu LiveCD, mount the Linux
partition(s), chroot into / and re-run grub-install. This can get
hairy, so if you are new around here and the last sentence sounds
like Greek, speak up and I'll give you the long version :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za