Virtualization

Tom Smith tom71713-ubuntu at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 17:37:11 UTC 2006

Bernard Peek wrote:

> In message <20060301092737.K5934 at borg.org>, Kent Borg
> <kentborg at borg.org> writes
>
>> On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 11:39:24AM +0100, Sebastian Gil wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look on this in the wiki
>>>
>>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/VMwarePlayerAndQemu
>>>
>>> You can download vmware player (it's free, but you can't create new
>>> virtual
>>> machines)
>>> Use qemu to create the virtual machines...
>>

>> Recently vmware "server" has been made free.  Register and download
>> from vmware.com, get an e-mail with your key, install.  I haven't used
>> it much, but it works, allows the creation of new virtual machines.
>

> The free version is a beta release. I tried it and it definitely runs
> Ubuntu.

Yes, it does. Ubuntu is "officially" supported, both as a host and
guest. I'm in the process of implementing a VMware Server using Ubuntu
as a host and it works pretty well, with the exception of some disk I/O
issues I'm trying to work out. The only downside is that there is no
guaranteed support as it's still considered a beta product. VMware
expects to offer support contracts in Q2 of 96 (when they expect VMware
Server to come out of Beta testing).

In the end, though, when Xen is able to run Windows (Q3 or Q4 of 06,
according the XenSources) I'll likely switch to using it. The only
downside to this is that it's hardware dependent if you want to run
Windows--it uses Intel's VT technology to allow Windows to run within Xen.