[Dapper] How to get mounted disk show on the desktop

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Mar 1 14:00:33 UTC 2006

On Wednesday, 1 March 2006 15:32, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:08:45 +0100
>
> Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > >
> > > sudo gpasswd -a <username> lp
> > > will assign you permanent membership to group lp.
> >
> > Thanks, didn't know the command line for that (I used the GUI in
> > System->Administration->Users and Groups
>
> interesting. I add users to groups with
>
> sudo adduser <username> <group>
>
> for instance
>
> sudo adduser peter lp
>
> Not quite sure what the difference is , if any.
>
> /me looks at man gpasswd....

Hmmmmmm, /me looks at man adduser....

Ah, now I see. adduser is a new! improved! useradd that really is
better. I first saw it on Red Hat <small number> back in the day and
it looked like a half-baked waste of time. So I never used it again.
And on gentoo (my main distro) adduser is a symlink to useradd :-(

Adding users to groups normally confuses the daylights out of most
folk, they can't figure out how to do it and the man pages conspire
to make it more difficult than it should be. 'usermod -G <groups>
<user>' looks like it might do the thing, but it first removes all
existing groups, then adds just the ones in the <groups> list.
Confusing. It's meant to be used once when the user account is
created, but the man page doesn't say that. In desperation, 'sudo
vi /etc/group' becomes the tool of choice until one stumbles across
gpasswd in the dark (like I did)

So,
adduser <user> <group>
gpasswd -a <user> <group>
are effectively the same. A good addition to adduser, especially as it
is the man page most folk would look at first

--
Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za