ubuntu flight6 on a dell inspiron 6400

Marcelo.cl ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Fri Jun 30 23:49:29 UTC 2006

Ok,

You don't find the resolution because it's not there...

What 915 resultion does is replace a resolution that you won't use with
the one you want (1280x800 or whatever), let say that you wont use mode
38 ... *given that your laptop doen't support it).

You replace it by using:

#915resolution 38 1280 800

and you can check it was replaced by doing another #915resolution -l
and there it is. when you restart X it will use 1280x800. (restart with
ctrl alt backspace).

when you reboot it will go back to 1024x768 since the change to the
BIOS is not permanent, you need to include the command in your login
file.

There are excellent step by step instructions in:

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/atrivedi/entry/using_915resolution_reply/

And they are also in 915resolution readme, but not so clear.

When I did this my second monitor was affected until I rebooted, now
everything is at the proper high resolution.

enjoy.

--
Marcelo.cl