advice getting jre installed

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 16:27:22 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, Noah <admin2 at enabled.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> weird.  I am finding that Java 1.4.2 is installed.  and I am not able to find
> J2SE 5.0 with the synaptic app.
>
> What might I be doing wrong?

You're using the GNU gcj that came installed with the system.  It's
compatible with Java 1.4.2.  It's apparent that you don't have
Multiverse enabled, which is an optional software repository
containing redistributal commercial software packaged for Ubuntu.
What you need to do is add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list
or drop in a file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d call, for example,
multiverse.list (which is what I do):

# Ubuntu Multiverse (Community Support)
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper multiverse

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-updates multiverse
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper-updates multiverse

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security multiverse
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security multiverse

Once you've done that:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ apt-cache search sun-java5

(Pick the software you want, I just installed everything.)

$ sudo apt-get install sun-java5-\*
$ sudo update-alternatives --config java

(Select the appropriate Java version.)

$ java -version

(Verify that the new Java version is what's being offered.)

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."