getting UID higher that 99999

The_Eye_In_The_Sky syiwabhairawa at yahoo.com.sg
Fri Jun 30 06:24:46 UTC 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 17 June 2006 21:43, The_Eye_In_The_Sky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Bad luck I'm afraid. AFAIK the UIDs on Linux are 16 bit, so they go up
> to 65535.
>
> Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading something about 32
> bit uids but don't recall where. Google for "32 bit uid linux" and
> see what turns up

Sorry for the late reply, I was travelling without reliable Internet
connection.

The problem of limited UID here is specific for Ubuntu only. My other
Linux laptop are using Centos 4.x, Fedora Core 1-4, RHEL 4.x, and Java
Desktop System R2 and R3. All of them can address my UID when I created
my own account, which is 130217.
Send instant messages to your online friends http://asia.messenger.yahoo.com