usb and KVM and system freeze

Noah admin2 at enabled.com
Fri Jun 30 08:02:08 UTC 2006

Hi folks.

running dapper.

so I have a KVM box that I switch between about 3 PCs. and I am finding
that when I run my ubuntu that the system freezes

I thought it was the screensaver but it appears that it is because I am
loosing contact with the machine after I switch away and switch back the
KVM box to the server.  I have a gefen 4x1 VGA switcher.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1398

what I mean by a system freeze is I am no longer able to provide input
from the mouse and/or keyboard.  The server does not respond to pings
and/or ssh requests.

my keyboard and mouse are USB attached to a hub that follows the KVM box
port selection.

what is a good way to troubleshoot this issue?

Cheers,

Noah