Packages have been kept back -- What to do?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Jun 30 03:18:02 UTC 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 22:50, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> kip at Red:~ $ sudo apt-get -V dist-upgrade
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Calculating upgrade...Done
> The following packages have been kept back:
>    gdk-imlib1 (1.9.14-16.2ubuntu4 => 1.9.14-29ubuntu1)
>    libkrb5-17-heimdal (0.6.3-11ubuntu1.2 => 0.7.1-1ubuntu3)
>    libopenal0 (0.2004090900-1.1build1 => 0.2005080600-2.1build2)
>    moagg (0.18-1build1 => 0.18-3)
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
> kip at Red:~ $
>
> It is still too cryptic for me to understand what it is telling me.

It's telling you which versions you have installed and which versions it is
thinking it should upgrade to, but can't, e.g version 1.9.14-16.2ubuntu4 of
gdk-imlib1 is currently installed and apt thinks it should be updated to
1.9.14-29ubuntu1.

Looking at these version numbers in the package search tool, to pick one
example:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/oldlibs/gdk-imlib1

I see that in all cases you have the current breezy version and apt is
thinking you should have the current dapper version.

That indicates to me that it is likely that this goes back to when you
upgraded from breezy to dapper (it appears that you did at some point).  I
also notice that all 4 packages are in universe for dapper.

Here are a couple of things to check:

1.  Look in /etc/apt/sources.list to see that you have repositories for
universe enabled.  Mine look like:

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ dapper universe

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security universe

If there is a '#' in front of the line it is commented out.  Remove the '#',
run apt-get update and then try again.

2.  Look in the /var/log/dpkg.log for the logs associated with your update to
dapper.  Odds are you will find error messages in the logs associated with
these packages.  They should point you in the right direction.

Scott K