Canon FB636U scanner not working

Jack Bowling jbinpg at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 30 03:10:48 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 07:54:01AM -0500, Lorin Pino wrote:
> >On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 15:30 +0100, Tony Arnold wrote:
> >

> >>I have a Canon FB636U scanner connect to a USB port on my Dapper system
> >>and I cannot get it to work.
> >>
> >>lsusb shows it there:
> >>
> >>Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04a9:2204 Canon, Inc. CanoScan FB630U
> >>
> >>Immediately after plugging it in, sane-find-scanner returns:
> >>
> >>found USB scanner (vendor=0x04a9, product=0x2204) at libusb:002:008
> >>
> >>and scanimage -L shows:
> >>
> >>device `canon630u:libusb:002:009' is a CANON Canoscan FB630U flatbed
> >>scanner
> >>
> >>But then attempting to run scanimage gives:
> >>
> >>scanimage: sane_start: Device busy
> >>
> >>Then scanimage -L tells me there are no scan devices and I have to
> >>unplug the device and plug it back in.
> >>
> >>Anybody had experience with this scanner and got it to work, and if so
> >>any tips? Or is my hardware broken?
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>Tony.
> >>--
> >>
> I have a similar problem with an epson 1250.  I don't use it very often,
> so I haven't focused on that problem, yet.  I was able to scan one
> image, and then the device showes up busy.  Hopefully, someone else will
> respond with an answer.
> ~Lorin

Yep, common problem it seems. But you know how I fixed it? I plugged my
Epson Perfection 2450 into the USB1.1 bus instead of the USB2.0 bus and
everything works perfectly. Go figure. Mind you, it scans a LOT more
slowly but at least it works. Bug updated in Launchpad but nothing from the
developers.

Jack