advice getting jre installed

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 03:08:18 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:

> Sheesh!  Why not just install the _Ubuntu_ Sun Java packages!  They're in
> sun-java5-jre and sun-java5-jdk.

EasyUbuntu installs those out of Multiverse for you, and presents the
user with a number of options for multimedia support, fonts,
compression formats, etc.  It's not unreasonable to suggest it as the
alternative for installing Sun's Java on the system.

To continue quoting my post:

"Suffice it to say that Sun's J2SE 5.0 Release 7 is already packaged
in the Multiverse repository for Ubuntu.  There is no need to install
any RPM package.  The only caveat is that you will need to manually
download the jdk1.5.0-doc.zip[2] file and copy it to /tmp before
installing the sun-java5-doc package."

[2] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/index.html - Link in the upper right.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."