Upgrading to Edgy Eft

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 29 23:56:36 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic wrote:

>> As for being "locked", simply password protecting it with a password that
>> anybody can get by going to a page with warnings is good enough for me
>
> I don't even think that apt supports this, and believe that it is
> overkill to spend time on it.

Sure it does - it's just http or ftp.  Perhaps there's no way to give
username and password except in the URL, but I'm not looking for security -
just a way to discourage people who really shouldn't be using the archive
yet.

> I'd be happy if it were possible to give a bit clearer instructions in
> official communication (like the original announcement)

I'd be happier if it was clear _what_ constitutes an official
communication - I don't consider wikis an appropriate place for official
pronouncements.
--
derek