advice getting jre installed

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 22:56:55 UTC 2006

On 6/29/06, deadgobby <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> Try running Automatix. Read first before Dl and installing.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Automatix.  I'd recommend
EasyUbuntu[1] instead.   In fact, ubotu, the official support infobot
of the #ubuntu IRC channel has this to say about Automatix:

"automatix is a script that automates installation of some items and
has been reported to break your system while doing that, please see
http://help.ubuntu.com and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDocumentation
instead."

Suffice it to say that Sun's J2SE 5.0 Release 7 is already packaged in
the Multiverse repository for Ubuntu.  There is no need to install any
RPM package.   The only caveat is that you will need to manually
download the jdk1.5.0-doc.zip[2] file and copy it to /tmp before
installing the sun-java5-doc package.

[1] http://easyubuntu.freecontrib.org/
[2] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/index.html - Link in the upper right.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."