How often will LTS releases be released?

Anthony Yarusso tonyyarusso at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 29 20:28:58 UTC 2006

Magnus Runesson wrote:

>>         I have looked around on the Ubuntu site to find how often
>>         LTS-releases
>>         will be released. But can not find an answer. Does anyone know
>>         how often
>>         will LTS releases be released?
>>

>> IIRC, Ubuntu has commited support and security updates for next 5
>> years on servers with this LTS release. For desktops we're going to
>> get 3 years of support security updates.
>>

>> However Ubuntu will keep on releasing the normal releases every 6
>> months.
>>

> I know that Ubuntu is releasing new releases every 6 month with 18 month
> of support. What I am interested in is who often releases with server
> support for five years will be released?
>
> Regards
> /Magnus

There is not a set timetable for when each LTS release will come out.
They are determined by many aspects lining up together (kernels, Gnome
releases, etc.) in such a way as to justify a long-term release.  So, we
don't know for sure when the next LTS release will be exactly, since the
many parts are unpredictable that far into the future, but it would
probably be a safe bet that they will be somewhere close to the time
from Ubuntu inception to Dapper I would think.