Upgrading to Edgy Eft

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Jun 29 21:15:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-29 at 10:11 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Encouraging people to _use_ it - and report their experiences here - is a
> long way from encouraging people to _depend_ on it.

Conceded.

> You're saying people
> shouldn't use it on a critical machine, and I've agreed with that all
> along.  I do, however, believe we should be encouraging _everybody_ to use
> it on non-critical machines (not _pushing_ people to use it, just
> encouraging).

Actually, I have listed quite some other things that a user can/should
do to have an ok experience besides the critical machine thing.

I'd agree with you hadn't you written "_everybody_". If a user is at a
level where he/she is helpless when X is gone, the machine doesn't boot,
or similar, then he/she should either
      * Wait for the betas, or
      * Take it as a learning experience, read a lot of manuals as well
        as current mailing lists/wiki, and be braced for an interesting
        time

> It's neither unreasonable nor against the FLOSS culture.  I didn't say "lock
> it up until it's ready for release"

I realized after posting that I had read more into it than you had
written. Sorry.

> If, as you insist, it's too hazardous for anyone to use until the merge is
> complete,

I have said something along the lines of "of course it is possible to
run it, under <the oft repeated conditions>"

> then the archive shouldn't be open _until_ the merge is complete.

There might be reasons you and I haven't even thought about for why they
have to be open

> As for being "locked", simply password protecting it with a password that
> anybody can get by going to a page with warnings is good enough for me

I don't even think that apt supports this, and believe that it is
overkill to spend time on it.
I'd be happy if it were possible to give a bit clearer instructions in
official communication (like the original announcement)