Kernel Compilation Woes [was Re: iPod Isssues]

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 19:27:27 UTC 2006

Just adding more info to the thread:

I got more information from someone who's done extensive testing with
the iPod and different OS, kernels and even USB version. Quite
facinating. The plot thickens:

<quote>
I cannot speak authoritatively, however I can relay more of my saga
regarding my iPod and similar  problems. I wrote to you before regarding
this if you remember.
I bought my iPod about 2 months ago.  It is a 30 gig video. I have an
old HP machine, that had 4 USB ports.  These were USB 1.  In Breezy
these worked fine with the iPod.  I used gtkPod and GpixPod without any
problems. I bought a USB 2 card to speed things up, USB 1 is very slow.
 I installed the card and did a fresh install of Dapper.  I plugged in
the iPod to one of the new USB 2 ports and it mounted correctly, however
when attempting to export a song(s) or writing to the iPod causes it to
crash and has on some occasions damaged my iTunes DB.
I tried the USB 2 port in XP, it works fine.
The USB 1 ports on my machine work fine in Dapper with the iPod, I can
sync and export, it just takes a while.
The same issue with Mandriva, Debian and Suse (all current versions).  I
installed Slackware current with a 2.4 kernel and all is well with the
USB 2.0, however Slackware is not my forte.
I believe that in some USB 2 card there must be a hub built in, my
computer tech friend confirms this, and my hardware profile in device
manager shows that the card has a hub in it, built in.
Compiling a new kernel with EFT disabled did not work for me.
I am thinking that this may be a HAL bug, since HAL is not used in my
Slackware 2.4 kernel and that works fine.
Maybe we should compile a 2.4 kernel for Ubuntu or find a way to atleast
use the 2.4 method instead of HAL.  What does 2.4 kernels do, modprobe
for everything?
Gotta be a work around for this.
</quote>

--