an article about desktop

David Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 29 15:33:47 UTC 2006

ubuntu at rio.vg wrote:
> A. Kudryashov wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> Did anybody read this one?
>> http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/261/1/
>>
>> IMHO ubuntu also choose wrong direction (with others).
>>

> Frankly, this guy is yet another pundit without a clue...

	Now, now. Be nice. It's these kind of reactions that irritate people
and make them think that Linux users are snobs...

> That's simply not the way open source works...

	I really don't think that's what he was saying.

> He rants against XGL as frivolous, and while right now it is certainly
> primarily eye candy, he is ignoring the very real benefits of having the
> entire screen rendered through 3d channels rather than 2d.  Better font
> rendering and the cube for desktop switching are both great
> improvements, and who knows what they'll think of next?

	Okay, I'm not up on this whole XGL thing. Could you help me out with
what the benefits would be?
	But I would have to agree with Jem about 3D rendering using more
resources than 2D. Imagine that on an older PC...

> ...  Declaring that it should bend over to one niche or the
> other is simply absurd.  Linux is incredibly adaptable, why cage the tiger?

	He isn't suggesting that all of Linux go one way. What he is saying is
that there is an opportunity for a distro (or two) to be created
specifically for a certain market, like writers/publishers.
	Sort-of like Edubuntu, or (in a way) like typing "server" when you
install Ubuntu.

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818